Internet Explorer 6.0 was released on 27 August 2001. In 2003, IE usage peaked at 95% of the market; a figure that is unlikely to be matched by any browser ever again. Microsoft had successfully created their own browser monopoly.
Internet Explorer 6.0于2001年8月27日发布。2003年，IE的使用率达到了市场的95％的峰值。 这个数字不可能再被任何浏览器所匹配。 微软已经成功创建了自己的浏览器垄断。
The situation attracted some adverse publicity. It resulted in the famous US Department of Justice court case against Microsoft and the company was accused of abusing their position. However, whatever your opinion of Microsoft’s business practices, the success of IE6 was largely because:
这种情况引起了一些不利的宣传。 这导致著名的美国司法部对微软提起诉讼 ，该公司被指控滥用职权。 但是，无论您对Microsoft的业务实践有何看法，IE6的成功很大程度上都在于：
- It was free. Unlike the early software produced by Netscape and Opera, IE did not cost a penny. 它是免费的。 与Netscape和Opera生产的早期软件不同，IE无需花费一分钱。
- It was bundled with Windows. Users received the browser whether they wanted it or not. 它与Windows捆绑在一起。 无论是否需要，用户都会收到浏览器。
- It was tightly integrated with the operating system. Users could not uninstall IE and developers were able to utilise the web rendering engine and communication libraries within their desktop applications. 它与操作系统紧密集成。 用户无法卸载IE，开发人员可以在其桌面应用程序中利用Web渲染引擎和通信库。
- The competition was sparse. Although Mozilla and Netscape released competing browsers, the early versions were bloated and buggy. 比赛稀疏。 尽管Mozilla和Netscape发布了竞争的浏览器，但早期版本却肿且存在错误。
- IE6 was fast, stable, and the best browser available. IE6快速，稳定并且是最好的浏览器。
The situation also benefited web developers since there was little need to develop or test code in multiple browsers. Who cared about W3C standards when IE6 was the standard? Microsoft announced that IE6 would be the last standalone browser they ever produced.
这种情况也使Web开发人员受益，因为几乎不需要在多个浏览器中开发或测试代码。 IE6 是标准时，谁在乎W3C标准？ 微软宣布IE6将是他们生产的最后一个独立浏览器。
The release of Mozilla Firefox at the end of 2004 changed the game. The browser was far superior to IE and was open source; Mozilla had few commercial pressures and could not be bought or shut down by Microsoft. Users switched in droves and, more recently, Apple and Google were encouraged to enter the market. IE’s domination was over.
2004年底发布的Mozilla Firefox改变了游戏规则。 该浏览器远远优于IE，并且是开源的。 Mozilla几乎没有商业压力，因此无法被Microsoft收购或关闭。 用户蜂拥而至，最近，苹果和谷歌受到鼓励进入市场。 IE的统治结束了。
Microsoft were forced to act and released IE7 in October 2006. IE8 is due shortly and web developers are praying it will be the final nail in IE6’s coffin. Supporting IE6 is a major headache but, eight years after its initial release, one in five people continue to use the browser (a similar proportion to Firefox users).
IE6’s death has been agonizingly slow for several reasons:
- IE7 and IE8 can only be installed on Windows XP SP2+ or Vista. Many people continue to use older versions of Windows or avoid automatic updates. IE7和IE8只能安装在Windows XP SP2 +或Vista上。 许多人继续使用Windows的旧版本，或者避免自动更新。
- Many large corporations have legacy applications that only support IE6. Upgrading these systems incurs significant costs which may not be justifiable – especially in the current economic climate. As a result, their employees have been unable to switch to alternative browsers. 许多大型公司都有仅支持IE6的旧版应用程序。 升级这些系统会导致大量成本，这可能是不合理的，尤其是在当前的经济环境下。 结果，他们的员工无法切换到其他浏览器。
- Many IT novices are ignorant of what a browser is, how to upgrade, or why they should. 许多IT新手都不知道浏览器是什么，如何升级或为什么要这样做。
- Some users simply prefer IE6 to IE7 and the competing browsers. 与IE7和其他竞争性浏览器相比，某些用户只是更喜欢IE6。
IE7 adoption has possibly reached saturation point. Although IE7 users are likely to upgrade to IE8, its release may not have a significant impact on existing IE6 users. Whilst there are several high-profile internet campaigns to eradicate IE6, its demise is occurring at a frustratingly sedate pace.
IE7的采用可能已经达到饱和点。 尽管IE7用户可能会升级到IE8，但其发布可能不会对现有IE6用户产生重大影响。 尽管有几场引人注目的互联网运动正在铲除IE6，但它的消亡却以令人沮丧的平静速度进行。
The browser will die naturally as legacy systems are fixed and people migrate to more recent versions of Windows (or Mac/Linux), but celebrations of IE6’s final breaths are likely to be several years premature. Unfortunately, few web developers will be in the position to drop support for the browser for some time to come.
随着旧系统的修复以及人们迁移到Windows(或Mac / Linux)的最新版本，该浏览器将自然消失，但是庆祝IE6的最后一刻可能还为时过早。 不幸的是，很少有Web开发人员会在一段时间内放弃对浏览器的支持。
Do you or your clients continue to use IE6? Do you have plans to upgrade to IE8 when it is released? Are you doing anything to persuade users to abandon an eight year-old browser that causes developers so much frustration?
您或您的客户是否继续使用IE6？ 您有计划在IE8发布时升级到IE8吗？ 您是否在说服用户放弃使用了八年历史的浏览器，而这导致开发人员感到非常沮丧？
杜达雄2014缠绵图博文的相关内容如下：倪泽杜达雄博文配图| 博文收藏杜达雄| 杜达雄博文小泉冰配图| 杜达雄极力博文配图| 杜达雄廉畅修博文配图| 缓慢的死亡| 杜达雄大丁 博文配图| 杜达雄博客博文收藏|